Thursday

An Open Letter To MAN MAN

Dear MAN MAN,

I am subscribed to Anti records on youtube. As a result of this I came across news of your new album Life Fantastic. I came very close to stealing it off the internet. But I listened to a few tracks and I thought ‘No, be honourable’. I decided I would buy the album for real, I could hold it and feed it and raise it as my own. Spend some time with it, sit down read the lyrics, carry it around with me, look at the pictures that kind of scenario. I don’t really like ordering CD’s off the internet so I went into the only record store in my town, a HMV.

What a sorry state of affairs it is in there these days. I had to wade through Family Guy shirts and House boxsets just to get to the CD’s which seem to be kept out of sight as if their ashamed of them. Pfft, I’ll be lucky to find it in here I thought. Unless I want to 2 for £10 on Oasis albums I’m not really spoilt for choice. I pressed on regardless and to my surprise I found it. Hidden behind a black bit of plastic with your band name there it was. 15 pounds!? I nearly ran out screaming, I was struggling to breath and when the initial shock wore off I was offended. Ridiculous price for a CD, albeit we have a weighty sleeve but still there is only 11 tracks on this bastard. But like drunk sex with a fat girl I figured, I’ve come this far might as well press on. I paid the man, who tried to scupper more shillings off me by offering me some wastegash reward card. I left waiting for the sense of doing something right to come me but it never did. I paid 15quid for something I was just going to rip onto my itunes anyway. Thing is, I doubt its yours or Anti Records fault it cost this much. But perhaps bands and labels should be more aware of how much their products are being sold for. I’m just one example, I persevered because of a sense of honour brought on from watching too many Shaw Brothers Kung Fu films. What if a person of a weaker disposition was in the same situation, sure some skittles and Oasis albums would get sold but Life Fantastic wouldn’t be clutched in their grubby little paws.

Worst part in all of this is it’s a fucking great album. The production, Instrumentation, The Lyrics it’s all solid. Sure like a decent meal I like some bits more than others, but none of it lets down. I’m happy to have it in my collection. Any other MAN MAN record I come across is a sure and safe buy. Seeing you live is a must. I recommend it, the artworks great too.

Yours Faithfully,

ICHI

No comments:

Post a Comment